Friday, September 25, 2015

Ah, Craziness....

I was going to entitle this "my life has ended," but I thought that came across as too melodramatic, but seriously that's how the start of hockey season makes me feel.  And now I have two kids in it...although only one has started so far.   It just is SO time consuming.  And expensive....yet, the kids love it and it is great exercise and team building, so we put up with it.  I just wish the season didn't last SO LONG.....I mean we just started - it is September. Andrew will start in October.  Last year the season ended in APRIL!!! APRIL!!! AGH!!!

We also have First Communion for Adam this year, so he just started the first half, which is for First Reconciliation.  That means we have church school now on Saturdays as well as the usual Sunday.  And our parish, in their infinite lack of planning, doesn't have kindergarten at the same time as everyone else....so Adam and Andrew have back to back church school, not the same time.  And since I am not willing to have Andrew miss ALL of Mass this year, that means we have to go to Mass either the night before or before they start, which means 3 back to back things.  AGH!!!  Have I said before that I find my parish NOT child friendly? Because I do.  But our options really aren't all that great....I like Palmer better in regards to the kid portion, but Ray doesn't like the priest (well, let's be honest...he has trouble understanding him plus he is SUPER long winded).  And Adam LOVED Church school at our current parish last year.  So....we are staying put for now.  I can hope for a new  priest, though.....they are supposed to move regularly.....one who is all about kids and kid programs.....and will make some improvements.....if nothing else, next year Andrew will be a first grader and at "regular" time.....we thought of not having Andrew do anything this year, at least formally....but he wants to go and I like that, so we are doing it. 

Adam is also starting ukulele lessons, but those are through the school and before school on Fridays, which actually works nicely.  It also means it is cheap....always nice!  I just had to purchase the ukulele, which was only $40. 

I am volunteering in the library this year, which is a lot of fun and I feel like I am making a difference for the librarian, which is cool. 

I am teaching two classes F2F this fall and then 3 online. In the spring, it will be 3 and 3.  Definitely keeping me busy!

The one other thing I am hoping for this year is swim lessons for the boys...swim lessons are a pain around here as they fill up quickly as they let all the current people register first....so to get into the system is really hard. I am hoping the school will do a program as I know they often do and we got information on it last year, but they wouldn't take Andrew (too young) and I didn't want to have one kid not in it, so here's hoping it works out this year.

2 comments:

Christine said...

What church are you guys going to, the one in Wasilla? I hear you on the crazy kid schedule thing. Ours got out of control even though I'm an activities enthusiast and I had to shut down involvement in even more things...

Jennie W said...

Yes, Sacred Heart in Wasilla. Actually, this might have convinced Ray we are switching to St. Michaels in Palmer in the spring. We'll finish out this year and then make the decision. Ray is really fed up with the amount of time they expect out of 2nd graders and the thing is, looking at ALL the kids, not just Adam, it isn't helping, so that really makes it hard to be into it. I was actually ready to move parishes this summer, Ray was the one who wanted to stay....I think we are moving now, but at this point we are committed to finishing this year in CCD, so we'll have to see.

I wanted to do swimming lessons, but it isn't going to happen now until hockey is over - just too much time!