Sunday, August 16, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

I wanted to try straight rhubarb sauce, so I used this recipe.  Um, yeah, not good.  I think it would be fine in things, but I was thinking more dessert sauces.  I'd also just made strawberry sauce.  I wanted things I can use at the holidays.  So I was debating what to do with this....so I took a page from the "cheap" old trick for strawberry rhubarb jam and through in one packet of Jello (you don't want too much as you don't want this super thick).  Worked really well. This was super yummy.  We actually had some over ice cream - delicious!  And a great way to use a LOT of rhubarb that you can then use at the holidays for a nice addition to things like cheesecake, ice cream, etc. 


Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Modified from Recipe Curio

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 quarts rhubarb, diced
1 pkg (6 oz) strawberry flavored Jello
Put sugar and water in pot and bring to a boil.  Add in rhubarb.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Take off heat and add in jello. 
Put in sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes.  Serve over ice cream or other treats.
I got about a dozen jelly jars worth.

Oh, so I also did strawberry sauce, as noted.  Well, I had like ten things going...boiled it over.  Definitely a HUGE mess. Luckily my sweet kitchen hero helped me out!
 

No comments: