Saturday, August 15, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam



I've had scads of rhubarb...so my solution has mostly been jam.  I did strawberry rhubarb, but honestly I wasn't too happy at first. It was mostly strawberries (okay, but not the point) and didn't use the rhubarb I wanted up. Plus I needed to buy strawberries in large quantities (not cheap).  I even tried a Splenda recipe, not good.  But this solution, which is an OLD one works and is relatively cheap plus uses TONS of rhubarb.  This strawberry rhubarb jam uses NO real strawberries...instead strawberry Jello!  My grandma remember her mother doing it this way.  It is actually really good!

Pineapple Rhubarb Jam
Modified from Rhubarb Central

5 cups rhubarb, chopped
3 cups sugar
1 can (19 oz) crushed pineapple (with juice)
2 pkg (3 oz each) strawberry gelatin (so Jello) [or one 6 oz, which is what my store sells]
 
Combine rhubarb, sugar and pineapple (dump it in juice and all).  Simmer for about 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.  Remove the mixture from meat and add in gelatin, mixing until combined.
 
Cool slightly and pour into sterilized jars.
 
Seal an process for 10 minutes (or at what your altitude says you should). I did this in a water bath canner. I got about 5 jelly jars or so.

No comments: