Friday, August 21, 2015

Canning Fun

So Grandma found a pickle that got "lost" and was huge....and I had a recipe for sliced that I wanted to try....so we'd decided to pickle. Then I thought well, I should get a few more cukes if we are doing this so went to a local farm stand...and zucchini was dirt cheap....so I couldn't resist and bought 25 pounds worth....so hence we did a bunch of preserving today!  We got 14 bags of shredded zucchini that I'll use to bake with this winter, 6 bags of blanched for lasagna, one double batch of zucchini bread (because why  not!) and then we did a batch of zucchini pickles.  Plus, of course, we deal with the cukes. 

The three types of pickles we did today: sweet dills, polish dill and zucchini pickles

Final haul of canned pickles: 6 pints of zucchini pickles, 8 pints  and 3 quarts of sweet dills, 2 quarts of polish dill
 
We did have one burst in the canner (first time for me, so can't be too upset and it broke cleanly so it was mainly just a time waster as we had to reboil water) and one not seal, but I reprocessed that one and I think it took this time. 

No comments: