Monday, October 13, 2014

Prioritzing

So I'm sitting here doing my grading (well, when I'm not ranting here....).  What I REALLY want to be doing (it is KILLING me) is finishing setting up my house. But I'm grading because that what must get done today and it takes priority.  This got me to thinking about how many of my students cannot seem to do this.  Everything else takes priority over their schoolwork, which gets put off until the last minute, so emergencies really screw them over.  I get that taking your kid to the ER is a priority (in fact, I'd tell you that you SHOULD do that first or I'm calling the cops to do it FOR you).  But when this happens Sunday night and you put off ALL your homework until then...that's when you set yourself up for disaster.  Yet most of my students live this way. They don't think ahead and so any unplanned situation throws them way off.  And then they have no way to catch up because they won't prioritize the catching up time.  So many times I see it...a student falls behind because of an unplanned (or badly planned....) issues where they miss some work (and again they usually were barely on top of things to start with) and then can't ever seem to catch up because it would involve doing double work one week and they won't or can't. 

I am finishing a major move (we started packing in July). Balancing work with this has been a major issue. For instance, the reason we didn't move into the house until Friday was that we didn't have internet and I needed it.  So we stayed with my parents an extra week.  I consistently made choices to HELP keep on top of work. Was I perfect? God, no!  But I was really WORKING to make sure that this move, which was planned, interfered as little as possible with my work obligations. Yet, my students can't do this. They will KNOW they are moving, yet they won't make choices to get their work done. Then they fall behind.  And again here is where you have prioritizing to catch up...and again they won't or can't. 

I just realized this morning how hard I've worked to make this move happen and NOT fall behind in work.  Mostly it worked. It was a pain in the tush, totally, but I made it, mostly sane.  Yet, my students just can't do this.  Either they aren't prioritizing school above other things (and then why are you paying good money for it is what I want to ask them....) or they can't manage basic planning skills.  Now I've had help, no doubt about it, my husband and family help make this happen. But honestly if you are going to go to school and do have a family, they need to be on board  or it probably won't happen.  For instance, my husband's Ph.D. Yes, he is doing the work, but I have to help him so he can prioritize the work he needs to do, when it needs to be done. 

While I sympathize with my students certainly, I also just get fed up when they want consideration for things I deal with all the time...and still have my part done on time.  Yes, I get paid for it....but like anything, we all make choices.  Many students just aren't making good ones, yet they feel they are "owed" a passing grade. Um, no. 

1 comment:

SK said...

Amen, amen, amen!!!