Monday, March 17, 2014

Baking with Splenda

Okay, I've been dieting (and no, I do NOT want to talk about it), so I've been experimenting with baking with Splenda.  At this point, I have had two bad experiments and one great one.  First, here is the good one!  These were delicious and a great treat for me for breakfast versus yogurt. 

Lemon Muffins
Modified from My Recipes
 
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar (so I used 1 cup of Splenda....I was using the granulated 1 to 1 Splenda)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs (I always use extra large)
1 1/4 cups milk (I actually used fat free skim here)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 lemon, zested and juiced (they actually just called for 1 tbsp. of zest, but I wanted to use up the juice as well)
 
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, and lemon zest; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon into a lightly greased 12-cup muffin pan, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
 
This is supposed to make a dozen....I actually got about 2 dozen, but I don't think I put enough batter in each cup as each were rather small in my opinion. 
 
Now the bad ones...so I tried to make chocolate oatmeal cookies with Splenda...and they didn't spread at all, didn't seem to do anything when I baked them. They cooked mostly, but just not good.   I also tried to make banana cookies with Splenda....and again, they just didn't spread/rise AT ALL. They tasted okay and my solution was to roll and cut them like refrigerator cookies and this made them work, but I just wasn't happy with the final product (hence no recipe at this point).   I did have some issues with the baking soda v. powder and learned some stuff online about substitutions, but I actually made a second batch, with the right ingredients, and it still didn't rise.

No comments: