Thursday, November 21, 2013

Student Teachers

First, I really LIKE and RESPECT Adam's kindergarten teacher and his student teacher. I think his kindergarten teacher is fabulous (and I totally believe all elementary school teachers would be paid like NFL stars and NFL stars like elementary school teachers....MY priorities are straight....).  She's also a great supervising teacher (as someone who has been through an education degree, I know) and I think his student teacher will one day be a great teacher, both because of herself and the great mentoring she's getting.

That said.....student teachers.....

So last night we had this "family fun singing" night thingie that our student teacher plus two more in the building cooked up (I'm sure it was part of some assignment as they are all Kent State students and you all know my opinion of Kent State....I'll get to more of that in a few).  Okay, we aren't having a Christmas concert because the principal doesn't want to (long story, it is a matter of space, security, etc....all good reasons and I think he almost went into coronary arrest over last year's...so this year it is a craft day instead), so this sounds fun because we all like to see our kids sing and dance.  First, it doesn't start until 5:30 (okay, again you want turn out, this is after work...) and they are feeding us pizza (again, a smart move...you want people to show up, promise them free food).  So we there, you get food and you have time to eat...so nothing really starts until 6 (which I would have liked to know because my children really weren't interested in eating....I could have skipped the free food and just came at 6!).    Honestly, I think they should have done the songs THEN fed us so you can leave as you finish.  There are a few things out to see (not much though) of our children's' and some coloring pages.  Okay, not horrible.  Although every time we got up because the kids wanted something, we lost our seats because they didn't have enough tables down.

So at 6....the student teachers all have a little speech....not all that enlightening and then they want us ALL to come sing WITH the kids.  First, we don't know the songs (they did hand out words, I give them that) or the dances (they are doing them, but it is hard to follow that).  Second, we aren't really interested, let's be honest.  Third, we came to watch our kids and if we are up there with them we can't do that.  Last, because you don't have them in a group, all we can see is their backs....learn from music teachers...put them in a group FACING us and you put your back to us so you can encourage them along.  Also, there are obviously a lot of cameras, etc., out...you have just created chaos....it would have been better to ORGANIZE us, then we all know the rules and it is easier on all of us. 

Ray had to work, so I had to go alone with both boys (who were tired by this point....Adam has been sick this week).  It was not all that fun, although once Adam got going, he did a good job of singing the songs and doing the motions. I was proud of him. But it would have been a lot more fun if I could have sat in a regular chair.....would have also been easier to control Andrew.....

My other beef is that elementary school teachers all are creative....I am NOT.  Please don't expect me to be....student teachers are the worst because they haven't learned that we are all incompetent on this front yet....

Oh, my other point...so when I student taught, you did it FULL TIME.  Meaning you went all week, all day.  You were TEACHING.  These girls come TWICE a week.  Really?  This is NOT student teaching that's field experience (which I was required to do every year before my final year when I student taught).  Kent State needs to FIX that.  That is RIDICULOUS and takes away the entire point, in my opinion! 

No comments: