Saturday, April 06, 2013

Vanilla Ice Cream

I tried a new vanilla ice cream recipe because I didn't really like the last one.  This was one much better, although finding a real vanilla bean turned out more difficult than I thought!  It also turned out a much smaller batch, which is good for me.  Anyway, I think this is better and I adapted their recipe to work in my ice cream maker.

Vanilla Ice Cream
Ice Cream by Joanna Farrow & Sara Lewis
 
1 vanilla bean (a real one!)
1 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%)
4 egg yolks
6 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
 
Slit vanilla pod lengthways.  Put milk and vanilla in heavy pan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and leave for 15 minutes.  Hold pod over pan and scrap the seeds out into the milk.  Bring the milk back to a boil. 
 
Whisk yolks, sugar and cornstarch until thick.  Gradually pour into hot milk, whisking as you go.  Stir and cook for a bit until thickens (mine never really did...I think this is more important if you do this their way, which doesn't involve an ice cream maker).  Add in heavy cream (whip a bit first....I just did it a bit...again same as above).
 
Cool completely.  Then put in ice cream maker and follow instructions.   Mine took 30 minutes.  Freeze then serve.
 
Serves 4.

No comments: