Saturday, January 26, 2013

Homemade Ice Cream


For Adam's birthday, I made my normal cake and frosting (I gave him the choice...he wanted a round, brown cake with 5 candles...he was easy!)

I had gotten an ice cream maker for Christmas from my in-laws, so I decided that I was going to make the ice cream for the party in it.  I went with the chocolate and vanilla to start and from my manual as a good starting place.  I made half recipes of each, which I'm glad I did as even half was a LOT of each.  Plus my ice cream maker says not to fill over 2/3rds full....and honestly I think that a full recipe would be more than this, which, in my opinion, is dumb....to me, the manual should give the right amount. That's the entire point!  But they did both turn out well, despite some siezed chocolate! 

Modified from my ice cream maker's manual
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
7 cups milk
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 3/4 cups heavy cream
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk in a large saucepan. Turn on over medium heat and stir constantly. Very slowly add the eaten eggs and continue to stir. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened slightly. Slowly add vanilla, half and half and heavy cream.
Pour into a large glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until chilled (really overnight is better....I made this first and did it just 2-4 hours....the other one, I made that night and processed the next day, which I think was simpler and then I knew it was fully chilled).
Pour mixture into canister and follow directions on ice cream maker.
This makes like 16-20 cups (I got 8 cups of custard out of 1/2 the recipe and then it expands a little after being made into an ice cream).

Chocolate Ice Cream
Modified from my ice cream maker manual
2 3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
6 cups milk
4 eggs, beaten
6 squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted (so 6 oz)
2 tbsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup half and half
2 cups heavy cream
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until milk is simmering. Very slowly add in beaten eggs and stir until thickens slightly.
Slowly (really....I did this too fast and my chocolate seized, so my ice cream was grainy although tasted fine) stir in melted chocolate and whisk until all combined and smooth. Slowly add vanilla, half and half and heavy cream.
Pour into a large glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until chilled. Pour into ice cream maker and follow your directions.
Makes about 16 cups of custard so a litlte more than that of finished ice cream.

No comments: