Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tennessee Whiskey Cake

This was quite a hit. Ray and his father just LOVED it. I actually really enjoyed it as well because I really like the flavor of molasses, which really comes through in this cake. This really is worth the time as it has a really rich flavor and a very gourmet taste to it. Definitely worthy of a "fancy" restaurant!

Tennessee Whiskey Cake
Modified from Everyday with Rachael Ray

1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened [Remember in baking salt content will matter, so make sure to get unsalted.]
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup Tennessee whiskey [they recommended Jack Daniels, we used Bulleit Bourbon - remember Tennessee Whiskey is actually bourbon versus an Irish Whiskey...and obviously I don't know any of this, but my father-in-law did. Bourbon starts with a sour mash (again whatever that means!). The point of this ramble here - make sure you have a TENNESSEE whiskey, which is usually labeled bourbon.]

Toppings/Sides:
Chocolate sauce [we used this, I really liked this addition.]
Vanilla ice cream [we didn't use, but we think it would be good. I just usually don't have ice cream in the house because I like to go out for ice cream. It's one of the few things I always want to eat out versus in.]
Candied pecans [we didn't use as I don't like pecans, but you can find a recipe for these online, if you want them.]

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Using a standing mixer, beat the butter at medium-high speed until creamy; gradually add the brown and granulated sugars and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture, one-third at a time, alternating with the milk and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix in the molasses on medium-low speed. Mix in the whiskey until smooth, about 30 seconds. [This all actually takes a bit of time.]

Pour the batter into a greased, parchment paper- lined 10-inch cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes [okay, do NOT use a springform pan....I learned the hard way. My only 10 inch cake pan was a springform and I didn't have parchment paper (I did have wax paper, but just didn't want to mess with it), so I decided this would be good. Well, it LEAKS - so take my advice and don't use it. It only leaked some and still turned out, but still a mess you don't need!]. Let cool. You can serve with ice cream, chocolate sauce and candied pecans based on what you want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tennessee Whiskey is not generally Bourbon as described at Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1, Part 5, Section 5.22. Bourbon being at least 51 percent corn. Also, 95 % of Bourbon is made in Kentucky. We are very proud of our Bourbon. Nothing against Tennessee Whiskey which is fine, but please do not associate Bourbon with Tennessee.

Allen Baker said...

Hi, your description of the cake have alredy brought some waters into my mouth.Then what would happen when i will really have one of these.Definitely it will help food lovers to have one more item in their menu.I am getting irrestible, i will tell my mother to prepare some of these as early as possilble so that i can satiate my taste buds soon .Hmm.... iam missing something, few Cuban Cigars along with this cake will make the dinner even more delicious.