Monday, October 01, 2007

Shredded French Dip

I was pulling recipes to include with a wedding gift (I like to add a few hand-written recipe cards to my wedding gifts - I figure what new couple doesn't need a few new recipes) and decided to feature one of my all time favorite recipes - Shredded French Dip! (I included the link to my recipe homepage in case you've lost it). This is the world's easiest recipe and one of the most delicious. Heck, it even convinced my mother to buy a crock pot! Although, why she had to be convinced boggles my mind...I'd die without mine (and actually I own two and am considering buying a third - I want a little one for dips)! And she's a 70's bride - the era of the crock pot (by the way, this Sunday is my parent's 29th wedding anniversary)!

Shredded French Dip
Modified from Taste of Home's Quick Cooking

***needs a crock pot***

1 boneless beef chuck roast (or what ever is on sale at the store - I always go with the cheapest cut possible - you cannot screw this up - it will fork tender no matter what) ( 3 lbs), trimmed
1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed French onion soup, undiluted (this means ignore the instructions on the back and just dump in the can as is)
1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef consommé, undiluted
1 can (10 1-2 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
[You can also add 1 tsp beef bouillon, but I usually don't as I can't really tell the difference either way.]
8 to 10 rolls (I use the big hot dog buns or hoagie rolls, but French or Italian rolls are really good, but a bit more expensive)

Halve roast and place in crock pot. Pour soup, consommé, broth and bouillon over it and stir around to mix in bouillon. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. (I don't always get a 3 lb roast, sometimes I only get 1 1/2 - 2 lbs, depending on the how many I'm feeding and how much leftovers I want and that is usually on the low end of time, but the extra length won't hurt the meat. I usually always put it in for 8 hours (I've actually let it go longer than that once and it still tasted wonderful - I really meant it when I said you can't screw this up).

Remove meat and shred with two forks (should pull apart really easily). Serve on rolls. Skim fat from cooking juices and serve as a dipping sauce (au jus!)

This is one of my favorite dinners to come home too and its never disappoints me. I usually serve it with french fries or some potato product, but it can also stand alone as a full meal.

Makes 8-10 servings.

3 comments:

christine said...

This sounds really good. I'm going to give it a spin - I think the boys will really like it, and Allen loves French Dips...

Jennie W said...

You'll have to let me know if they like it!

M said...

Jennie,

Please check out http://tueting2008ap.blogspot.com/2007/10/sherman-and-slaves.html. Respond if you feel the need. I approved a comment from this poster today to a February post at APB.

Michael